Wednesday, January 5, 2011

TOMATO SOUP Baby!

MTV Unplugged


Listening to: Mariah Carey - "I'll Be There" From Unplugged MTV album
Weather: Sunny Brisk 59 Degrees


You Say Tomato I say Tomato...


Went to see one of my dearest girlfriends and we ate at Corner Bakery for lunch...shared a sandwich, some pasta, and you guessed it: Tomato Soup.


I'm a late bloomer to Tomato Soup, actually thought the concept of it was odd until I was about 23 when a male friend of mine exclaimed with literally the most enthusiasm I've ever seen anyone exclaim over food, "TOMATO SOUP WOW MY FAVORITE!"  I looked at the bowl and crinkled my nose until my sister leaned over and said, "Hey it's pretty good.  It tastes like Chef Boyardee."  I happen to thoroughly enjoy eating canned pasta (yes I know) and took a tentative sip of the soup...I've been hooked ever since.


So out of the Tomato Soup's I've had, here are my faves...


Best Tomato Soup Recipe: Tyler Florence from the Food Network's - Roasted Tomato Soup
This soup is so great...the roasted vegetables give off that delicious caramelized like flavoring, the basil adds a great freshness, and I like to round it out with the optional cream he has at the end of the recipe to smooth the whole soup out...it doesn't hurt either that there's a bunch of garlic in it...yum!


Best Grocery Made Soup: Whole Foods Tomato Basil Soup
This is great when you're on the go, or want to make a quick lunch/dinner without the fuss, yet want something hearty and not too processed tasting, it's chunky and fresh, and delish!


Best Canned Tomato Soup: Campbell's Good To Go - Creamy Tomato Soup
This is weird but Campbell's has a small cup sized Good To Go Creamy Tomato and a larger small bowl size...and it's the same Good To Go recipe and everything yet...the small cup sized one tastes infinitely better than the larger one...strange!  Though a bit pricier than your average canned soup (I'm sure it's the microwaveable container to blame) this soup is actually pretty decent and good to have when you're really on the go...and I prefer the Creamy Tomato over the regular Tomato...


Best Cafe/Bakery Tomato Soup: Panera Bread's Vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup
Last I checked they had a standard tomato soup...it was really really delicious...almost worth shelling out big bucks for half a sandwich and soup! :)  But Corner Bakery's tomato soup was pretty delish too, though I think Panera's edged them out...


Best Out of State Tomato Soup: La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soupe (yes they spell it with an e)
Originally started in Dallas, TX this french cafe/bistro has got one of the best Tomato Soups out there...anytime I travel to TX or ATL I try to stop by and have a taste...Rachael Ray's magazine covered it as one of their top tomato soups as well.


So do yourself a favor and grub on some tomato soup...they're rich in vitamins and nutrients and of course taste!...though please do be careful to check for any of those salmonella types of outbreaks that occur once in awhile...
...Happy Slurping!

No comments:

Post a Comment