Friday, January 14, 2011

Televisionularily Spectacular! Part 1


Listening to: Michael Jackson-"Human Nature" from his Thriller album
Weather: SUPER WINDY!!! It's shaking the house...argh

I remember watching a lot of t.v. as a kid...but it was the sitcom type, not like the reality tv junk that's been clogging our airwaves...and I'm not talking about the good informational kind, but the nasty trashy kind that really needs to be kicked off!  TV was a joy for me, feeling often that the family I was watching was my own, or that I was a member of the A-Team, that Jack Tripper's name was oh so relevant as he was always tripping everywhere...and that one day, Kevin and Winnie would finally end up together...

My top two tv shows per genre PART ONE...(and yes I couldn't fit it all into one blog it was just going to be too long so I split it into two...!)

 
My Favorite "Real-Time" TV: Definition=Basically, not a sitcom, but not really a talk show cause everyone would give it hands down to Johnny Carson! 
~That's Incredible! (1980-1984) Was a show which featured people doing, you guessed it, incredible things.  I remember watching this as a kid and being really really creeped out, though I don't know if it's from the things the people were doing or if it was just that creepy brown backdrop and the creepy hosts!
~America's Funniest Home Videos (1989-present) complete with original host, Bob Saget's really strange voiceovers that made the videos either sometimes funnier or sometimes super annoying...other times, there were no need for words, just the incredibly fake and overdone laughter of the audience!

 
My Favorite "Family" TV: Definition=Good ol' fashioned families going through life together on t.v., enough said!
~The Cosby Show (1984-1992) was number one five out of its eight years on television...millions of people tuned in to watch The Huxtables and their sweet, innocent dramatics and later added another daughter, Sondra, to the mix...and of course much later when the show was slipping, dear Raven Symone, of That's So Raven.
~Family Ties (1982-1989) peaked at number two for two seasons...and how could it not featuring the hilarious character of Alex P. Keaton, one of my top fave tv characters of all-time...and with Tom Hanks playing the mom's younger brother, Courtney Cox as Alex's girlfriend...how could you go wrong?

 
My Favorite "Urban" TV: Definition=Featuring a mainly African-American cast, these shows centered around the dealings of a neighborhood/town usually with a matriarchal or patriarchal figure being the main focus.
~227 (1985-1990) The show centered around women who lived in an apartment complex in Washington D.C...most notable character I think was Jackee (pronounced Jack-kay) the sassy sexy one with the squeaky voice later to be on Sister Sister though my personal favorite was Rose, the actress who was on Sesame Street as Olivia.
~Amen (1986-1991) Starring Sherman Hemsley from The Jeffersons fame, this show centered around a church where Hemsley, the deacon of the church, was often butting heads with the pastor who later ends up marrying his hiliarious daughter.  The reason why he often butted heads was because his ideas/morals often led to the conflict of the episode...I still think the telethon episode is HILARIOUS...!


Best "Abnormal Family" TV: Definition=Not the typical mom/dad household, usually one character perk that offsets the normal nucleus family.
~My Two Dads: (1987-1990) Poor Nicole's mother dies and doesn't reveal who Nicole's father is...the two men who were fighting for Nicole's mother (straight-laced Paul Reiser, and hunkier Greg Evigan) end up having to share the raising duties per judge's orders...what a wacky concept but I watched it pretty faithfully...apparently Fergie, aka Stacey Ferguson, auditioned for the role as Nicole.
~Who's The Boss: (1984-1992) Role reversal at its peak with male housekeeper Brooklyn ex-baseball guy Tony Danzawith uptight, professional, Judith Light...throw in a sex-crazed older lady, a smart mouth girl, and a young boy and you've got a show that jumpstarted Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano's career...hmmm.


Best "Action" TV: Definition=Bang, Kapow, Boom...cars...explosives...!
~The Dukes of Hazzard: (1979-1985) I have NO idea why I was allowed to watch this show especially with Miss Daisy Dukes running around but it was a hilarious show especially the bumbling sheriff...plus at a young age I thought the blonde one was hot...though I personally thought the movie was an incredible insult.
~A-Team: (1983-1987) Another show I have no idea why I was allowed to watch but the characters were hilarious!  Hannibal, Face, Mr. T, and Murdock...Hannibal was my personal favorite though you really couldn't go wrong any of them! Another movie I wasn't too happy about...too Hollywoodish for me.

 
Best "Added Member Not Of The Family" TV: Definition=A hired help type of person is the main character of the show, often adding plenty of sass and attitude to change up the main family's lives.
~Gimme a Break (1981-1987) Featuring Nell Carter as Nell...ahem...anywho, she lives with the Kanisky's aka the dad and the three daughters, and later on orphan Joey Lawrence (woah!) and Thelma Hopkins hopped on as supporting characters...
~Mr. Belvedere (1985-1990) Christopher Hewitt, aka Lynn Belvedere, was the hilarious British housekeeper trying to keep the Owens family together especially his best frenemy, Wesley, my other favorite character in the show.

That's all for today...tune in tomorrow for the conclusion including, THE BEST 80'S SHOW OF ALL TIME! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment