Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bubblelicious!


Listening to: Janet Jackson - "Love Will Never Do Without You" From Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 album
Weather: 51 Degrees with rain clouds approaching AGAIN!

Top 80's Pop Music!

Okay I'll admit it, I have a guilty pleasure of enjoying pop music...but I'm not ashamed of the 80's acts, still thoroughly enjoy their music and blast their songs all the time...I distinctly remember trying to choreograph cheerleading moves to Debbie Gibson and Paula Abdul, emulating MJ's moonwalk rather unsuccessfully, and of course doing that weird hip swinging dance courtesy of the boys from NKOTB...so without further ado here is my list of the TOP 10 Pop Music Acts of the 80's!



A-ha: Whenever one speaks of or hears of A-ha, immediately thoughts of the music video for their song, Take On Me, comes to mind...the girl is sitting in the diner looking at a comic book and suddenly she is whisked away and into the story...later at the end, her beloved (the lead singer) is able to escape through the comic book dramatically injured...it tore me up as a young kid and I needed whoever was watching it with me to tell me that he was okay...they told me that he was inded okay...and I let out a breath of relief!

Different Light
Bangles: I have a home video where my two cousins are trying to do the Walk Like An Egyptian dance from their hit single of the same name...it was hilarious to watch and so encompassing of the decade!  Also their hits like Manic Monday and Eternal Flame are still classics today.

Whitney
Whitney Houston: Dear Ms. Houston, how you break my heart!  Her voice was one in a million, unfortunately she succumbed to a life of hard living and the Whitney Houston is far from the one we knew and loved with such great 80's hits like: How Will I Know, I Wanna Dance With Somebody...etc...still hoping for a real comeback!


Paula Abdul: Known more today for her zany antics on American Idol and her does she or doesn't she thing with Simon Cowell, she was one of my favorite pop acts of the late 80's...With hits like Forever Your Girl, Straight Up, Opposites Attract, Cold-Hearted Snake...etc, she was a solidified pop star for awhile with the dance moves to match...

She's So Unusual
Cyndi Lauper: According to Ms. Lauper Girls Just Want To Have Fun (though I hear a man wrote the song!) and with hits like Time After Time and her wild fashion choices, she was a great icon of the 80's.

Hangin Tough
NKOTB: Ah New Kids On The Block...who could forget Jordan, Jonathan, Danny, Joey, and Donny?  I was a Jonathan fan myself and vividly remember trying to trade NKOTB stickers with the girls in school, giving away my stickers in exchange for the Jonathan or my second choice, Joey, stickers...all whilst humming, The Right Stuff, Hangin' Tough, Please Don't Go, I'll Be Loving You, and one of my personal favorites: Cover Girl.  I was THIS tempted to get a ticket to their reunion tour with Backstreet Boys...sheesh.

 
Madonna: Though not a fan of Madonna's more "controversial songs" (Like a Virgin etc...) I am a big fan of her more lighthearted pop songs: Holiday, Cherish...and it amazes me that she has stayed in the biz for as long as she has.

Control
Janet Jackson: I am still a huge fan of Janet Jackson...in fact my sister's ringtone on my cell is Love Will Never Do Without You one of my fave songs from Ms. Jackson...other hits from the 80's include: Black Cat, What Have You Done For Me Lately, Miss You Much, and another personal fave, Escapade.  She is the number three top selling female artist of all-time!

Make It Big
Wham!: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, definitely one of my favorite songs of the 80's and still today...Careless Whisper, Freedom, Everything She Wants other great songs...also another personal fave: George Michael's duet with Elton John: Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me performed at Live-Aid, still one of my must have songs on my playlists.


Paintings in My Mind
Tommy Page: Ok so Tommy Page was sort of a one-hit wonder with I'll Be Your Everything...and I did enjoy the song though I was still more of a NKOTB fan than a Tommy Page fan (they worked together a lot) but I had to add him to this list for one reason: Full House the tv show...c'mon, you know, the episode when it's Stephanie's birthday and her dad Danny Tanner is able to get Tommy Page to perform for her and it's just an awe-inspiring moment in television history...until her older sister DJ Tanner goes on a date with him and they share a kiss and it breaks Steph's little heart until it turns out Tommy Page was just playin all y'all!  Cough cough.

New Edition
New Edition: Candy Girl, Cool it Now...songs I still dance to today, they returned in the late 90's with their hit, Still In Love and of course a guest spot on the hit show Family Matters aka Steve Stefan Urkel!!!
Off the Wall (Spec) Honorary Winner...
Michael Jackson: You cannot have a music conversation without mentioning Michael Jackson.  There's no way to describe his contributions to music.  And for me to list the singles that hit big in the 80's here would take up way too much space so be sure that I'll be making a blog about MJ's top songs relatively soon!

Hope you enjoyed this blast to the past and are in the mood for some pop-a-licious pop music...until next time, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment