Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bananas Are Good For You...Banana Clips Are NOT

Songs From the Big Chair
Listening to: Tears For Fears - "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" From Songs From The Big Chair Album
Weather: 49 Degrees, feels like 46 because YEP the WINDS ARE HOWLIN' AGAIN!

Well, with all this fun I've been having reminiscing about the 80's, it's finally time to hit into one of the things the 80's is most known for: FASHION

Talk about a decade of regrets!  Shoulder pads, mullets, all that hairspray!  Leggings, neon eyeshadow...PET PEEVE time: I hate these kids who try to do the 80's parties and end up looking like American Apparel model wannabes...sorry kiddos, if you want to dress like the 80's, you gotta have some sort of fluffed out hair not just a neon headband...get with the program!

And honestly...banana clips?  I remember we had a bright shiny silver one with these fake crystals on it, and for all I can remember, we used it opened all the way as a Miss America crown, and of course, closed across our face like Jordie from Star Trek: The Next Generation (see first entry)

And as I've said before...thank goodness I was a little too young to have had to go through some of the monstrous fashion choices...though gleefully many of my relatives were not so I get to laugh at them while still enjoying the joy that = the 80's!

These are the ones I am fondest of...
Mentioned Banana Clip
 Mentioned Jordie from Star Trek: The Next Generation (he was blind and this banana clip gadget was how he was able to see...if only we had something like that now!

 
Parachute pants: Oh dear...these were wretched...and often the colors came in wild neons, bright pinks, tropical colors! 
WHO WORE IT: MC Hammer...Too Legit To Quit because it's Hammertime baby!


Slapstick Bracelets: I don't know what the purpose of these things were except that they'd keep you awake during class...and later the boys were using it to smack us...
WHO WORE IT: EVERYONE and their mamas.



Hypercolor: Ah Hypercolor...the shirt that reacted to heat.  We'd spend many a minute trying to see if our faces would be imprinted on the shirts if we held it there long enough...too bad after a few washes the technology basically washed out...
WHO WORE IT: Anyone who could afford it.



L.A. Gear: The fringes on the side!  The colored-laces!  Karl Malone as a spokesmodel (er what?  The Mailman wore L.A. Gear?)...neon and tennies...perfect match for the 80's...I had the fringe shoes, my sis had the clear soles...both of us had pink laces!
WHO WORE THEM: Anyone who wanted neon shoes...
 
Stirrup pants: Although I'm sure these are practical, I remember the middle of my foot aching by the end of school.  Imagine trying to run your P.E. mile with a piece of fabric on the bottom of your foot!  But I suppose it beats having your pants dragging everywhere...I liked to pair mine with jelly shoes!
WHO WORE THEM:  Women...no men I hope
 
Lace Gloves: Ah, one of the iconic symbols of Ms. Madonna...I must say she is one of the best 80's costumes to dress up like should you need a costume for an 80's party...it was just hilarious and for some reason it captured the hearts of young women all over!
WHO WORE THEM: Girls who wanted to emulate the not-so-virgin-material-girl.

Ray Ban Sunglasses: I remember distinctly my male relatives going nuts over these...my sister and I wore the imitation ones that would change color when you stepped out in the sun.  Everybody had to have a pair of these...funny thing is, these never want out of style and still haven't.
WHO WORE THEM: Everybody!
 
Shoulder Pads: Ah the shoulder pads.  I remember playing in my mom's closet and picking out a jacket of hers that had the shoulder pads in them and pretending to be Michael Jackson, whirling around and singing.  These were the epitome of either the professional women's fashion, or the older women's fashion.  I can't believe they tried to bring these back...I always used to rip mine out whenever my mother purchased an item for me that had these monstrous things inside them.
WHO WORE THEM: Women who wanted bigger shoulders I guess.

I'm off to go tease my hair with some Aquanet, put on some neon eyeshadow, wear some leggings and a tutu with some paint splattered shirts and lots of bracelets...and for some reason a kid will ask me what American Apparel or Urban Outfitter I got my outfit from...sorry kiddos, the 80's isn't something to take lightly...just ask us, the 80's kids... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment